The Weasel Stone: Home of my Warhammer Beastmen Army

Folloow my journey as I begin a Beastmen 8th Edition Army

Thursday, March 10, 2011

Choosing paints

I decided not to assemble my new purchases yet. perhaps as soon as Saturday I will have in hand the models I traded for. So I want to paint them first since they are already assembled.

So meanwhile I have been doing prep work. I finished painting the Lothern Sea Guard and then dug up some night goblins I had laying around. I purchased some water paints and brushes and started working.

I have been experimenting with how much to thin the paint and some dry brushing. So far I have used three colors. I blocked out their robes in dark brown, then painted the bits of iron such as the tips of the bows, belt buckles, etc in black.

I then experimented with dry brushing on the black trying to darken certain areas.

Then I used a lighter brown for the bows and arrow shafts. This time I tried it two ways; first I dry brushed the robes to highlight the folds. The first one saw me leave too much paint on the brush and therefore leave too much paint on the model.

This illustrates one reason water might be a nice improvement for me. With my unsteady hand, I tend to get a lot of "bleed" when I paint. With water, it is a very easy fix.

Then I really thinned it down to do a wash on a few models I did not block out in dark brown. Those are drying as I type this.

The rest of it I am very pleased with. There are some coverage issues, but that might be because the light was insufficient at first. I have found a new way to light my work space so it is looking better and I am now able to see the models.

So I think I will be ready to start painging the Beastmen about Monday night. I have some plans to make them a really, really sharp looking army. I have to declare this water experiment a success so far.

No comments:

Post a Comment