The Weasel Stone: Home of my Warhammer Beastmen Army

Folloow my journey as I begin a Beastmen 8th Edition Army

Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Bestigor completion

I did some shading, a little bit of blending, some more dry brushing and then really worked hard on the champion.

On his right wrist I did some nice work*. I particularly like the black line deep in it. I also worked hard on his various medallions, trying to get them to stand out and be clear from the background.

The real irony in this is nobody but me will ever notice these details. This will not turn out to be a show army, it will look little or no better on the tabletop than any other army I have ever done, and arguably look worse than the oil based armies I have done in the past.

But I will know how much effort I put into the detail. Weirdly, the harder I work on them, the more it matters.


So there is the unit, painted and based, waiting for clear coating. For a while I kept tweaking them until suddenly I thought, hey...there comes a point when you need to just...stop...painting.


Here they are after the clear-coat. And I am happy. They have different shadings. This is something new for me. Always before I tried to get my armies to look uniform. Same skin tones. Same eye color. Uniforms identical. I am deliberately not doing that with the Beastmen.

It started with the Albino champion. It has been developing with each succeeding unit. They are similar...not identical.

I also toyed a bit with how to get them to align so both rows mattered. I think they look "right" as a unit. They are not rigidly lined up in lock step but slightly off center from each other representing the undisciplined Beastmen troops.


I am happy. I think with this unit I did some very nice work.



* When I speak of nice, good, etc. I am meaning in relation to my own painting skills, not those of people who actually do NICE work.

No comments:

Post a Comment