The Weasel Stone: Home of my Warhammer Beastmen Army

Folloow my journey as I begin a Beastmen 8th Edition Army

Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Unit 2 continued

This time, I did not want to paint for quite as long with them looking quite so drab as they did the first time so I jumped ahead and splashed on some red a bit earlier.

The thing is, I really do not like the base coat color. I find it difficult to paint colors I do not like but I need to stay with the process. Adding in color earlier really helps.


If I were to start the Beastmen painting project again, there is a real possibility I would go with a non-traditional color scheme. Maybe various shades of blue for fir and body. That is largely because of the feeling of drabness the models have during the process.

Again, being an impatient painter, it leads to impatience which is one reason this paint scheme is dangerous for me. So adding color will work on several fronts.

First, by adding a bit of color, it helps me like the look more. Second, it gave me a chance to work on their belt totems knowing I can over paint them later if they are poorly done.

Second, it also fits the generally accepted procedure of painting "inside out". That is, starting with the areas that are hardest to reach and working your way out to the outside edges.


 Now that I have some color, I can go ahead and drop the dark leg fir on them. I also tried something new. Once I had the leg and back fur painted, I watered down the mix a great deal more and did an early wash with it.

I am very happy with that choice as it deepens that weak, sickly taupe color. It also is giving some definition to their muscle masses and also addressed a lot of the coverage issues.
Since I went with green on the previous unit, I elected to do some more green with these guys. Again, I think it "brightens" the models a good deal which is important to me. I do not like dull, drab paint.

Funnily enough, I have been doing a lot of reading regarding painting recently and one of my tools to counter-act that is a tool many people look down on. I have already shown my post-dip versions of the Night Goblin archers and the Gor.

I am happy with those paint jobs because the dipping gave them the bright, glossy finish I personally love.

One of the harshest criticisms I heard of dipping is it does not allow a realistic look, partially because of the gloss. In a rather surprising news flash...painting up mythical creatures and races, no matter how well done it is, will never look realistic because the best you can possibly do is bring your own personal vision to plastic or metal life.

It is all well and good to paint shadow lines, blend shades, etc. to get a look you personally desire...but someone else might find it ugly.

I actually did those techniques on one model. I spent a lot of time working on blending instead of dry brushing ( a technique I still struggle with) and found it much easier than dry-brushing...but I did not like the look as much.

I may try it again, but ultimately, I want this army to look good to ME, not to random people I will probably never meet.

Obviously I would like people to think it looks good when I am finished, particularly because I am spending so much extra time and effort on it, but in the final analysis, it is ME they need to appeal to the most.

And dropping on some color, even colors I typically do not like such as green, but that work here, really helps me like the work I am putting forth.

No comments:

Post a Comment