The Weasel Stone: Home of my Warhammer Beastmen Army

Folloow my journey as I begin a Beastmen 8th Edition Army

Friday, April 8, 2011

Finishing the second unit.

I have mentioned several times that I am an impatient painter. I would always rather be playing Warhammer or a video game, watching basketball, playing poker, playing the guitar, eating, watching a movie...well, you get the point.

But I have committed to doing as good a job as I can on this army. So even closing in on the end I am trying not to skip steps, just call it good enough and finish, or anything like that.

One of the primary reasons to hate painting with water...besides the oft-cited issues I have with it being dull, having poor coverage, etc...is it is so hard to get decent paints in the colors of gold, silver and copper.

I tried it anyway. And as you can see in the picture above, the results are...well...disappointing. I might try a different brand or something because these colors...they look horrible in the bottle, awful on the palette, and gruesome on the model.

I actually considered using oils for those colors. But I did not.

I then went with my horn base color. I still like the ivory look. So I painted them ivory. then, to create the shadows, I did a heavy black wash. This time, however, I did not thin it enough and forgot the glue. It was the epitome of a blown wash.


Then I should have done several light coats of dry brushed ivory. I did about one and called it good.Time to base them.
Once they are based, all that is left is to do the dip, glue on the magnet and slap them on their base.


I think this unit sort of shows a plateau. I think the Gor I did first were a big step forward in painting with water. These guys, if there is improvement, it is strictly marginal.

The legs I think look better, as does the hair. But the horns needed a couple more coats I think. A few places on the legs did as well. I am not happy with bleeding out of the hair. From the table top they will look fine, but up close...not very good.

I also forgot to do their beard hair.

Their fingers, chest and arm muscles, and leg fir all are improved, however, so I guess I am okay with the overall look.

And with the gloss applied, I am satisfied.

No comments:

Post a Comment