The Weasel Stone: Home of my Warhammer Beastmen Army

Folloow my journey as I begin a Beastmen 8th Edition Army

Saturday, April 9, 2011

Prepping the rest of the initial wave of models

One thing every decent to great painter emphasizes time and again is prep work; scrape the mold lines, prime the model.

Generally dark shades (typically black) are suggested for deeper color models, lighter colors...white...if you prefer brighter colors.

My well-known love for brightly covered models indicates I should use white primer. Unfortunately, in reality I seldom prime at all. I think it is part of my painting catch-22. I am not a good painter so I do not do the things good painters do, and because I do not do the thing good painters do I never will become a good painter.

The exception is metal models. They MUST be primed, even with oil paints. So I had a can of primer laying around. Somewhere during my move they got shuffled in with miscellaneous other items and here I do not really have a good place to indiscriminately spray primer, so I took the models and primer to work one morning.

I am NOT a morning person, seldom at my sharpest in the mornings. It was once said of me by a co-worker after watching me walk into work with my bleary-eyed gaze and not-really-awake carriage, "I am surprised you can even function in the morning, much less find a way to drive to work."

The connection? Priming disaster.

I could not find the black or white primer, so grabbed the gray.

Unfortunately, it did not turn out to be grey. I am not sure how well it shows up in the above picture, so I will show you a close-up of another unit.


Shiny gloss silver. I did not notice this in my early am stupor.

Now, I should probably strip the models. Unfortunately, I primed 3 minotaurs, 10 Bestigors, a chariot, 5 heroes, and 4 harpies.


I decided to go ahead and paint over the silver and see what happens. After all, while I AM trying to do a better paint job on this army than I have done on any other army, I am also doing a lot of experimentation. Maybe it will work out. We will see.

No comments:

Post a Comment