The Weasel Stone: Home of my Warhammer Beastmen Army

Folloow my journey as I begin a Beastmen 8th Edition Army

Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Painting unit 2 proceeds

So with a splash of color applied, I decided to go with a wash. I am still struggling a bit with my wash technique.  I have been unable to get the mix exactly right.

If I were smart, I would go purchase some eye droppers to parcel it out in a pretty exact mix to help experiment with different ratios. Being me, however, I just keep trying combinations that look right to me.

This time I think I did not go heavy enough on the water.

I tried something a lot of people suggest, which is including a small amount of glue in the wash mix to act as sort of a binder. I think it looked better than most of my washes.

I then went back to the dry-brushing, but I think I erred a bit in using a color that was a bit too light. Below you can see the results.

Sure, the upraised fir on the legs stands out. It just looks terrible to me. Almost a grayish look in places.I also did the belts in orange to add a bit of extra color. I figure the orange fits the red touch in the first unit. I am debating even doing the hair in orange.

I notice I am getting a bit sloppy in some places. Some paint has slopped onto the horns. This could be problematic as I really like the ivory base coat, dark brown wash, ivory highlight look. Those patches of taupe could really affect that.

But then I started thinking it could have a really nice effect where it alters the shades on the horns randomly. After all, I want the units to look similar to provide cohesion but not identical. I am not running a bunch of clones here.

Of course, having just one pose for the model alters the perception. But since I do not know what these models are anyway, I might just use them as unit fillers elsewhere. We will see.

No comments:

Post a Comment